By Adv. Daniel Aspiro, Head of Private Client Department, Kan-Tor & Acco |

The Entry into Israel Law, 1952, and its regulations (1974) stipulate that entry into Israel can be done in two ways – through an immigrant visa (“Oleh”) or an entry visa (visitor or work visa).

The Law of Return, 5750-1950, grants every Jew who has expressed his/her desire to live in Israel, the right to immigrate to Israel and become a citizen (Oleh Hadash/a). The exception to the rule is made in those cases where the Minister of Interior is satisfied that the applicant:

(1) is engaged in an activity directed against the Jewish people; or

(2) is likely to endanger public health or the security of the State.

There is a temporary B-1 work visa available to a Jewish person to whom the Law of Return applies and is not a citizen/resident of Israel.

The visa is valid for one year and can be extended for up to five years. Anyone  of Jewish origin who is entitled to the 1-year visa will not receive a residency or citizenship status in Israel, and therefore is not entitled to an Israeli identity card and passport and not obligated to serve in the IDF.

At the end of the validity period of the B-1 work visa, the Jewish applicant may apply for aliyah. Click here for more information.

To obtain the B-1 work visa, the Jewish applicant should submit his/her application to the Ministry of the Interior in Israel, based upon the address of stay in Israel.

The Ministry of Interior may deny or accept the application. The assistance of a law firm, such as Kan-Tor & Acco, which specializes in this process, can prevent unnecessary delays or denials.

Kan-Tor & Acco law firm is specializing in all immigration applications to Israel and in particular all types of applications through the Law of Return.