Visa for Married and Unmarried Partners

Visa for Married and Unmarried Partners

This summary describes the step-by-step process for a foreign national to be granted permanent residence status Israeli citizenship, who is not otherwise eligible for citizenship under the Law of Return, and who is sharing his/her life with an Israeli partner, whether the foreign national and the Israeli partner are married or living together unmarried.

KTA lawyers are well experienced with the process, and can provide a professional guidance and support, to ease the process. Our service includes:

  • Legal advice,
  • Advise regarding documents needed for the process,
  • Preparation of the application to be submitted,
  • Making appointments at the  Ministry of Interior,
  • Process the visa with you, together, at the Ministry of Interior,
  • Making the process much efficient for you,
  • Gap through culture and language barriers.

Parentship Registration in Israel

Process for Married Couple

This process is composed of a number of steps that is meant to examine the sincerity of the relationship.

It is mainly relevant to an Israeli citizen that married a foreign national in Israel or abroad, regardless of whether the Israeli citizen met the foreign national in Israel or abroad.

The Ministry of Interior has set a number of preliminary conditions that must be met prior to beginning each stage of the process:

  • The marriage between the couple was not done fictitiously in order for the non-Israeli partner to receive citizenship and establish a permanent residence in Israel.
  • The couple must show sincerity, not hide pertinent facts, nor provide false and/or unsatisfactory details.
  • The couple must prove that their shared lives are based in Israel.
  • The Ministry of Interior must be convinced that the foreign spouse presents no risk to public health, public security, or national security.

The process stages:

1. Stay pursuant to a visitor visa

The foreign spouse, requiring a visa to visit Israel prior to entrance as a result of his/her nationality, must receive a B-2 visitor visa from the Israeli consulate in the place of his/her residence abroad, on the basis of the foreign spouse’s request for status submitted to the Ministry of Interior. A visitor visa granted under this step-by-step process is generally authorized for two months.

2. Stay pursuant to a work visa

After a period of two months, and at the discretion of the Ministry of Interior, the foreign spouse will receive a B-1 work visa for a period of 6-10 months, which permits them to work legally with any employer in Israel, without needing to receive an employment permit from the Ministry of Industry, Trade & Labor.

3. Stay pursuant to a temporary resident visa

After a period of 8-12 months, the foreign spouse is issued an A-5 visa, which gives the foreign spouse temporary residence status in Israel. The A-5 visa is given for a period of 1 year, and during the step-by-step process, it is extended for 4 years in 1 year increments. The visa provides full social benefits to the foreign spouse from the National Insurance Institute (Bituach Leumi), health insurance according to the law, as well as an Israeli identity card (Teudat Zehut).

4. Stay pursuant to permanent residence status

After 4 1/2 years at least from the beginning of the step-by-step process, the foreign spouse may apply for Israeli citizenship, with the same status as that of an Israeli spouse.

Process for Non Married Spouses

To protect family life and the integrity of the family unit, applicable to foreign citizens as well, the Ministry of Interior has established a “common-law partner procedure” that recognizes the concept of “common-law marriage” as a legitimate status for couples who are not married but nevertheless share a life together as a couple. The visa also called: “boyfriend visa” or “girl friend visa”


This procedure allows the foreign national, subject to certain conditions and preliminary inspections, to be granted a legal status in Israel as the life partner of an Israeli citizen, even if they are not married. This procedure also applies to same-sex partners.

The procedure permits the foreign national partner in a “common-law marriage” to receive the status of a resident after a cumulative period of 7 years. However, the foreign national partner is ineligible to submit a request for citizenship and will not receive the status of an Israeli citizen.

The preliminary procedures for both married and non-married couples are identical in terms of inspections conducted prior to each stage in the process:testing the sincerity of the couple’s relationship, shared life in Israel, and absence of security risk.

The difference between the processes for a married couple and a non-married couple relates to the length of the process, the different types of visas granted at each stage throughout the process, and the end result (Israeli citizenship v. permanent residence).

While foreign spouses married to Israeli citizens receive temporary resident status after a period of 6 months on average, and receive citizenship after a period of about 4 years.

The Israeli Law determines that each child born to an Israeli citizen parent is an Israeli citizen by the virtue of birth. 

  • When the mother is an Israeli, the child will be recognized as an Israeli, subject to proof of abdominal fruit.
  • If the couple is not married or living together when the father is an Israeli, the father will be required by the Ministry of Interior to submit a claim to the family Court for a guardianship deceleration.
  • The court will normally require the father to provide evidence of guardianship, such as parentity test, including a DNA test to prove paternity of the child, in order to register the child as an Israeli citizen at the Ministry of Interior.

KTA has significant experience in providing legal advice and service pertaining to guardianship registration in Israel.

Get in contact with us.