B-1 Scientist Work Visa

The Ministry of Interior has issued in 2015 the procedure for foreign lectures or researchers (afterwards: “B-1 Scientist”) who hold master’s degree, and wish to work in a recognized institution of Higher Education by CHE in Israel (afterwards: “University”). In this category, the foreign Scientist is required as a prerequisite for submitting an application, to present a recommendation letter from the Israeli University in question.

The process of obtaining a work permit type Scientist B-1 includes four separate bureaucratic steps:

  1. The submission of an application for a Work Permit to the Ministry of Interior describing the necessary of the foreign lecturer or researcher at the University. The proccing time for approval is 10 days.
  2. Applying for a B-1 work visa at the local branch of the Ministry of Interior to be cabled for processing at the Israeli consulate in the Country of origin of the Scientist.
  3. The issuance of a temporary B-1 Work visa by the Israeli consulate in the Country of origin of the Scientist, prior to entering Israel.
  4. Following the applicant’s entry into to Israel, the Scientist will be issued a B-1 work visa for the entire period of the work permit. This step will take place at the time the Scientist goes through border control at Ben Gurion Airport, or after entry, at the relevant branch Ministry of Interior.
  5. Duration of process: 7-10 work day from entry.

Special remarks:

Dependents are allowed in this category,
Minimal government fees apply,
No prevailing wage requirement
Medical Insurance is required.
The visa can be extended for up to 63 months.

Important: Working in Israel for any period of time without a permit and B-1 visa in the foreign expert’s passport, is a criminal offense. Whereby the employer and mangers will be expected to criminal penalties and fines, and the expert is expected to be deported, without being able to return for a period of 10 years.

Get in contact with us.