By Esq. Morgan Rosinia, US immigration Department, Kan-Tor & Acco

A “green card” is the documentation that allows you to live and work legally in the U.S.  There are a few different ways to qualify for a green card:

  • By marrying a U.S. citizen.
  • Through a family member such as a parent, child, or sibling.How can I get a green card to the US?
  • From a U.S. employer.
  • Through a lottery.
  • Family Based Immigration

A U.S. citizen can apply for a green card on behalf of their husband/wife, children, parents, or siblings.

A person who already has a green card can apply for their husband/wife and unmarried children to receive a green card as well.

When you can apply depends on the type of family relationship.  Spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents of U.S. citizens can always apply.  All other categories of family relationships may have to wait until a number is available in their specific category.  The availability of these numbers changes monthly.

Employment-Based Immigration

If you have a job with or a job offer from a U.S. employer you may qualify for an employment-based green card.  In order to qualify, your employer or potential employer and the position you are being offered must meet certain criteria.  There are a number of different employment-based immigration categories, each with its own particular regulations.


Each year the U.S. conducts a lottery to allow applicants from countries with lower rates of immigration to the U.S. the chance to win a green card.  Israelis are eligible to apply for this lottery.

Benefits of a green card

A green card allows you to live and work permanently in the U.S.  It also allows you to apply for U.S. citizenship after a specified period of time.

How do I apply?

The application process is long and complicated and requires expert legal assistance.

Kan-Tor and Acco can assist you if you would like to get a green card yourself or sponsor a relative or employee.